When you trust someone else to care for and teach your child, you want to be sure it's the right place. You want a safe, secure, warm place where your child will learn, develop and have a wonderful time.
It's a difficult decision. That's why we put together this checklist to help you find the right place for your child.
Learning & Nurturing
- Are teachers loving and responsive?
- Are teachers specially trained for the age they teach?
- Do the teachers make learning fun and help prepare children for the future?
- Does the curriculum provide a balance of daily teacher-directed and child-directed activities?
- Do the children have access to a variety of engaging activities throughout the day?
- Are toys and learning materials safe, plentiful and age appropriate? Are they sanitized properly?
- Do both the indoor and outdoor play areas age appropriate equipment?
- Do teachers use positive techniques to guide children's behavior?
- Are parents welcome and encouraged to visit at any time?
Health & Safety
- Is the school licensed?
- Is the school clean and well maintained?
- Are emergency procedures and evacuation routes established and practiced regularly?
- Are health guidelines and emergency phone numbers posted?
- Are security policies and procedures implemented?
- Are nutritious foods and beverages provided throughout the day?
- Are all children under adult supervision at all times?
- Are sick children who are contagious kept at home?
- Are immunizations required?
Teachers & Staff
- Are teachers educated and experienced in early childhood education?
- Do the teachers and staff provide the kind of warm attention and satisfying learning experiences that prepare children for the future?
- Do the teachers interact positively with the children?
- Is it the desire of teachers and staff to instill confidence, build self-esteem and develops the love of learning?
- Are teachers and staff trained in First Aid? CPR?
- Is ongoing training provided for teachers and staff?
- Are the teachers and staff a good role model?
Click here to return to Parents' Corner